24 August 2012

Music Day

This song is darn near legendary here at the asylum.

This was the first song I ever completed a dance for. That was back in April (I think 10 April 2012 will live forever in my memory), but it kick-started my choreography in general. It was during this song that I realised, yes, I can do this. And I'm not even all that bad at it.

As for the song, this captures the band at its finest. There are so many little things that make this song amazing. (And I listened to this almost non-stop for ten weeks, dissecting the timing and listening for cues for the dancers and deciding what step would best fit this bit of music, so I think I've picked up a few things.)

There's the bass, toward the end -- it starts as a short solo, then the guitar joins it with a really fast, very quick rhythm (the part that was a nightmare to count).

There's that whistle at the beginning.

There's that drum kick in the middle of the first verse (after the cold winter streets of your life...).

There's the part in the chorus where the guitar deviates from the steady 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, for like a measure before returning to the beat.

Then, of course, there's the singing ability of the one and only Rick Florian.

But above everything else, the proof that this is a fantastic song... is that you can listen to it almost non-stop for ten weeks and still love it. Seriously. It is impossible to overplay this.

I give you...

Title: Sing Your Freedom
Artist: White Heart
Album: Freedom
Year: 1989
Label: Sparrow Records
iTunes here; YouTube here.

Can't drown out the truth
Or chain our beliefs
Can't drown out the song
Of those who are free...

No comments: